Valve lifters or tappets, provide contact between the valves and camshaft. Most modern engines use hydraulic valve lifters dependent engine oil flowing through the ports of precision machined. When the oil deteriorates, debris can clog the valve lifters and cause a malfunction, which results in a sharp tapping sound coming from the valve cover. The first step to fixing valve is obstructed elevators clean the engine before adding new oil, and valve lifters must be cleaned individually if this does not correct the problem.
Things You’ll Need
- Clean engine motor oil
- Detergent flush
- New oil and oil filter car on jack stands Jack and
- Automotive stethoscope
- Kerosene jar clean
- Towels lint cotton swabs
Engine wash to clean lifters
- Open the cover of the oil in the engine and add the laundry detergent motor. Use a detergent that is approved by the volume of oil that is specified for your engine, and you may need to add more or less of the detergent bottle.
- Start the engine and run it at idle for 10-15 minutes. Listen to hear if the lifter noise fluctuates more than usual during this time, while the detergent loosens the debris and uncover lifters. Turn off the engine.
- Lift the front of the car and support it on jack stands. Drain the engine oil and oil filter. Add new oil according to the specifications of your car and lower the vehicle.
- Start the engine. Let the new oil to circulate for a few minutes, then rev the engine periodically to listen to see if the valve lifter rattle has improved. If not, clean the valve lifters by removing them from the engine.
Cleanliness Single Valve Lifters
- Run the engine with the hood up. Identify the faulty valve lifter by listening to the valve cover with an automotive stethoscope.
- Remove the valve cover and the rocker arm and camshaft to access the faulty lifter. Label each part and screw to remove for easier assembly. Remove the bolt holding the lift valve. Turn the valve lifter and pull it out of the engine.
- Clean all oil lift and remove the spring clip disassembly. Discard the remaining oil inside the elevator and all parts are available.
- Clean all oil possible each component with a lint-free towel. Remove all fines spring and recessed areas with cotton swabs.
- Soak the parts in a jar of kerosene for several minutes. Remove parts from the jar and dry with a lint-free towel. Inspect them for defects or deep scratches, which will require to be replaced.
- Place the spring back into the hole and fill it with clean engine oil. Reassemble the valve lift and immerse in a bowl of clean engine oil so you can fill as much as possible.
- Install the valve lifter and tighten the screw according to the manufacturer’s specifications. Install the camshaft, rocker arms and valve cover. Run the engine and listen to your right.